A projection mapping talent program
Limelight 3D Projection Mapping announces the launch of Limelight Academy with a projection mapping masterclass for Factory Light Festival. This is not a contest. We repeat, this is not a contest. We are aiming at contributing to the development of the 3D projection mapping scene by offering a unique education program for young talents, with a curriculum based on 15+ years of experience.
The team of Limelight 3D Projection Mapping is looking for candidates to create 1.5-2.5-minute light / 3D projection mapping artworks for Factory Light Festival in Norway. We offer you an education program with consultancy and creative workshops in 3D projection mapping, a budget of up to EUR 1,000 for your project, and an opportunity to present your artwork at a cool light festival. Sounds amazing, right? Good news is, you don’t have to work for free to be part of the program. We are choosing 5 applicants, 1 from Hungary, 1 from Norway and 3 applicants from around the world, who get the chance to visit the festival and present their artwork to an audience of professionals as well as locals and light art enthusiast from around the world. Have fun with us, and learn from the pioneers of 3D projection mapping!
Unlike projection mapping contests, Limelight Academy offers you a budget and professional support for your project. You don’t need to create content without help in order to be chosen – participants are selected based on their portfolio and dedication to the project. Are you ready?
A message and invitation from Factory Light Festival
In Slemmestad, Norway, we created an independent light festival, which showcases the best artistic video mapping and light installations we can find on the post industrial canvas of a cement factory. Our festival is embraced by the local community and provides a unique haven for the development of exploratory art within a professional festival, tightly integrated into the international art scene. We collaborate with passionate artists to continue their development and showcase the results in September each year.
Why we are collaborating on this project
Factory Light wants to share our amazing festival with some of the world’s most promising video mappers. You bring the talent, we provide the hardware and a SILO. Together we show the world what you can do (and have an awesome Norwegian time doing it)!
2018 Theme: THE UNIVERSE
From cement dust to concrete silos? From stardust to stars and planets? From a drop of water to an ocean. Particles and their ability to connect to each make it possible to create something stronger, larger, and infinitely more powerful that can fill our world. The micro and macro components of our world shape our experiences. Let us explore the individual, the space inside and the space inbetween.
Learn more about Factory Light Festival
- Program launch: 20 June
- Deadline for submissions: 2 July
- Announcement of participants: 4 July
- Budapest workshop: 18-20 July
- Festival date: 14-15 September
What you get
- A 2.5-month education program with us
- Continuous consultancy
- A 3-day workshop in Budapest with the pioneers of 3D projection mapping
- Flights, accommodation and catering covered by us
- Your work will be the highlight of Factory Light Festival in Norway
- An undercover Nordic experience between 12-16 September with accommodation and catering
By applying, you accept the following terms
- You are free to attend the workshop in Budapest, Hungary between 18-20 July
- You are free to attend the festival in Slemmestad, Norway between 12-16 September
- Limelight Academy is entitled to name you as alumni of the academy
- You are only entitled to use your own content or content that you have the rights to use
- By the end of the masterclass, you must create a 1.5-2.5-minute long artwork for the festival
For questions and answers, join our Facebook group!
How to apply?
- This program is for individual artists.
- In order to apply for the program, you need to have some experience in creating animation. Send your portfolio of light artworks and other relevant projects along with your idea of the concept, and a short video telling us why you are the best candidate for the project. You can send us everything by filling in this Google form. We need dedicated candidates that are willing to put all their creative energies into this program. A warning: there’s no app for that. Please be just as dedicated as we are to provide you with the professional help and education you need to progress, based on our 15+ years of experience in projection mapping.
- Based on your concept, we are going to be able to tailor workshops to your needs, so please be as specific as possible. Share your questions and doubts with us – remember, this is not a contest.
- We are choosing 5 candidates, 1 from Hungary, 1 from Norway, and 3 candidates from around the world, who get the chance to take part in a 2.5-month education program with the experts and leading artists of Limelight 3D projection mapping.
- In case you are chosen, you get a first Skype consultation to help you map out a plan of visits to Budapest, Hungary and Slemmestad, Norway, and an education plan for the project. Your costs are covered by us – round-trip flights to Budapest up to 200 Euros, accommodation and catering in Budapest up to 350 Euros, and an undercover Nordic experience with a round-trip flight ticket to Oslo up to 200 Euros, and accommodation and catering supplied by locals.
- You will have regular Skype consultations with the experts and leading artists of Limelight 3D Projection Mapping as you progress with your project with insider information and learning from significant projection mapping projects that you can use for your project. We will follow your progress and offer you continuous support.
- We are going to provide you with a 3D model of the silos you will have to work with, and the projection template for your work. Our workshop will cover the knowledge you need to create the ideal content for projection mapping considering the building, the theme and your creative vision.
- You will travel with the team including our artists and the 4 other candidates to Norway, and after the preparation session together, you will present your artwork as the highlight of the festival to an audience of professionals as well as locals and light art enthusiasts from around the world.
- As our team is constantly growing, you might get the opportunity to work with us in the future on one of our amazing projects at a cool place like Melbourne, Singapore, Bangkok, you name it.
- You will have lots of fun with a team of experts and artists with 15+ years of experience in 3D projection mapping, and a learning experience you cannot get from schools.
Join our team for some fun and many more!
July 2, 2018
July 4, 2018
July 18-20, 2018