A projection mapping talent program
Limelight never stops. The first Limelight Academy Projection Mapping Masterclass has just come to an end, and we are launching the second one – this time for Vivid Sydney precinct at Chatswood 2019. Want to join in? It’s your turn!
Limelight 3D Projection Mapping in partnership with Willoughby City Council has launched a projection mapping masterclass – the Limelight Academy – for Vivid Sydney precinct at Chatswood 2019. Again, this is not a contest. We are looking for candidates to create 3-4-minute light / 3D projection mapping artworks for the festival precinct of Chatswood, which is part of the world’s largest festival of light, music and ideas, Vivid Sydney. We offer you an education program with consultancy and creative workshops in 3D projection mapping with two trips to Sydney with all costs covered by us, and an opportunity to present your artwork to a wide audience of light art enthusiasts. We are choosing six applicants, three from New South Wales, Australia and three applicants from around the world, who get the chance to get admitted into our one-of-a-kind program with the best teachers from a team of projection mapping pioneers. Participants are selected based on their portfolio and dedication to the project, so you don’t need to work for free. How does that sound?
Limelight Academy, a worldwide one-of-a-kind concept, was born from the idea to create an alternative to mapping contests for light festivals and a unique education program for young talents from around the world. Unlike projection mapping contests, we offer our applicants financial and professional support for their works – they don’t need to create content without help in order to be chosen, they are selected based on their portfolio and dedication to the project. By teaming up with light festivals, we offer the opportunity to young mapping talents to show their work to a wide audience.
We are very proud to announce that we will be partnering with Willoughby City Council to provide projection mapping artworks for the festival precinct of Chatswood at Vivid Sydney in 2019. Vivid Sydney is the world’s largest festival of light, music and ideas. It features many of the world’s most important creative industry forums, a mesmerizing free public exhibition of outdoor lighting sculptures and installations, and a cutting-edge contemporary music program. An amazing amalgamation of art, technology and commerce, they are the perfect partner for our next Limelight Academy Masterclass. We can’t be grateful enough for their openness and enthusiasm about the program. Are you guys ready?
Join us for a 4-month education program with the world champions of projection mapping and get an insider knowledge that can only be obtained by experience. The program includes a site visit with a 5-day workshop in Sydney, Australia, and 4 months of professional support for your project, plus, of course, an amazing experience of showing your work of art to an audience of light art enthusiasts from around the world at the festival. Apply now!
A message and invitation from Vivid Sydney at Chatswood
Each year in Chatswood, Australia, Willoughby City Council curates a precinct for Vivid Sydney. Our focus for 2019 is on educating the next generation of artists. The Projection Mapping Masterclass with Limelight Academy is the flagship education offering at Vivid Sydney at Chatswood. We are looking for talented animators and creatives who want to up-level their skills and create an awesome piece of content. Upon registering, you will be provided with a broad theme for the festival in 2019, that will provide direction for your creative work.
For questions and answers, join our Facebook group!
- Limelight Academy program launch: October 8, 2018
- Registration deadline: October 22, 2018
- Submission deadline: October 29, 2018
- Announcement of participants: November 2, 2018
- Sydney site visit and workshop: November 18-24, 2018
- Deadline for completing a 1 minute long part of the final artwork: February 1, 2019
- Deadline for completing your artwork: March 15, 2019
- Vivid Sydney festival start date: May 24, 2019
What you get
- A 4-month education program with us
- Continuous consultancy
- A site visit and a 5-day workshop in Sydney, Australia with the pioneers of 3D projection mapping
- Flights, accommodation and catering covered by Limelight Projection Mapping
- Your work will be a part of Vivid Sydney at Chatswood 2019 in Sydney, Australia
- An amazing Australian experience with the team between May 23-26 with accommodation and catering
By applying, you accept the following terms
- You are free to attend the workshop in Sydney, Australia between November 19-23, 2018
- You are free to attend the festival in Sydney, Australia between May 23-26, 2019
- Limelight Academy is entitled to name you as alumni of the academy
- You are only entitled to use your own content or content that you have the rights to use
- By the end of the Masterclass, you must create a 3-4-minute long artwork for the festival, which mustn't be shared before the official publishing date
- Your work will be the highlight of Vivid Sydney at Chatswood 2019 in Sydney, Australia
- You mustn’t publish anything about the theme until the end of March 2019
How to apply?
- This program is for individual artists.
- In order to apply for the program, you need to have some experience in creating animation. Send your portfolio of light artworks and other relevant projects and register by filling in this Google form. We need dedicated candidates that are willing to put all their creative energies into this program. A warning: there’s no app for that. Please be just as dedicated as we are to provide you with the professional help and education you need to progress, based on our 15+ years of experience in projection mapping.
- Upon registering, you will be provided with a broad theme for the festival in 2019, that will provide direction for your creative work. You will need to send us your idea of the concept in writing, in 5-7 sentences, and a short video telling us why you are the best candidate for the project. Your introduction video must contain footage of yourself talking about your motivation to join the program. This is a way for us to get to know you better and learn about your level of English as well. Throughout the program, we are going to use English as the language of communication, and it’s important to understand each other well. Register as soon as possible, so you have time to prepare the concept and the video.
- Based on your concept, we are going to be able to tailor workshops to your needs, so please be as specific as possible. Share your questions and doubts with us – remember, this is not a contest.
- We are choosing 6 candidates, 3 from New South Wales, Australia and 3 from around the world, who get the chance to take part in a 4-month education program with the experts and leading artists of Limelight 3D projection mapping.
- In case you are chosen, you get a first Skype consultation to help you map out a plan of visits to Sydney, Australia, and an education plan for the project. Your costs are covered by us – round-trip flights to Sydney, Australia for the site visit and the workshop, accommodation and catering, and an amazing Australian experience with a round-trip flight ticket to Sydney, accommodation, and catering.
- You will have regular Skype consultations with the experts and leading artists of Limelight 3D Projection Mapping as you progress with your project with insider information and learning from significant projection mapping projects that you can use for your project. We will follow your progress and offer you continuous support.
- Besides the site visit, we are going to provide you with a 3D model of the building you will have to work with, and the projection template for your work. Our workshop will cover the knowledge you need to create the ideal content for projection mapping considering the building, the theme and your creative vision.
- You will travel with the team including our artists and the 5 other candidates to Sydney, Australia, and after the preparation session together, you will present your artwork as part of the festival to an audience of professionals as well as light art enthusiasts from around the world.
- As our team is constantly growing, you might get the opportunity to work with us in the future on one of our amazing projects at a cool place like Melbourne, Singapore, Bangkok, you name it.
- You will have lots of fun with a team of experts and artists with 15+ years of experience in 3D projection mapping, and a learning experience you cannot get from schools.
Join our team for some fun and many more!
November 18-24, 2018
Vivid Sydney festival start date
May 24, 2019